Carrara-Marble Quarries + Lucca + Pisa
By choosing the tour Carrara-Marble Quarries + Lucca + Pisa you will be able to discover the amazing Carrara marble quarries. This is the place where throughout 2000 years it has been excavated this white and shiny stone which has been used for building and decorating churches, palaces and cities in Italy and around the world. Donatello, Michelangelo, Bernini and many other sculptors and architects loved and still love to use this unique material for their works of art.
Travel through the majestic marble valleys, stop at panoramic lookouts and arrive up to 1000 mt. of altitude and enjoying breathtaking views of Carrara marble mountains, then visit an outside and a gallery marble quarries for comparing different methods of excavation and see something truly unique. Learn more about the tools, machines, and methods used throughout 2000 years for the excavation and transportation of marble.
To see from a distance trucks which incessantly challenge technical and human limits, makes us rise the wish to try the same thrill. Thanks to the special off road 4×4 vehicles and to highly skilled drivers will take you in a magnificent and unique scenery, where extremely detailed information about both ancient and modern methods of marble extraction, will be given.
Lunch might be arranged in Lucca or in Colonnata, the oldest quarry-men’s village, to experience an antique and unique food, the “lardo di Colonnata”, the only one of its kind in the world.
In the afternoon enjoy a self-guided visit of Lucca, a lovely old town located one hour away from Carrara. Don’t miss to see: San Michele in Foro, St. Martin Cathedral, The Amphitheater square, and much more… In alternative of Lucca, possibility to extend the excursion to the afternoon with the visit of Carrara: the marble built town!!! OR to Pisa with the leaning tower.
Please note, other possible variants of the schedule:
- Skip Pisa and Lucca and stay longer in the “marble world”. Visit Carrara, entirely built of its marble, Colonnata scenic quarrymen village, a workshop where floors, table tops, kitchen counters are made.
- Shorten your time in Lucca and see the leaning tower of Pisa.
- Skip Pisa, and stay longer in Lucca to fully enjoy its beauties.
– Pick up from La Spezia Port.
– 1 hours drive to the marble quarries.
– 50 minutes visit with a local guide.
– 1 hour drive to Lucca.
– 2 hours in Lucca, where we take a walking tour to see from outside the main highlights as Amphitheatre plaza, Fillungo Street, The San Martino Cathedral, Puccini’s birthplace, the massive city wall from the top.
– 30 minute drive to Pisa.
– 1 hour stay to admire the Leaning Tower and Cathedral.
– 1 hour 10 minutes drive back to port.
- Availability: all year round
- Disables and reduced mobility people friendly: Yes, if requested
- Tour duration: 8 hours
- Activity Level: low (low/moderate/high)
- Advised clothing: comfortable shoes and clothes
- Pick up suggested: 9.00 am
- Including: parking, tolls and fuel
- Price: (per party, not per person), depending on duration, pick-up location and group size
- Not included: admission ticket for churches and museums
- Pick up location: your accommodation (cruises, hotels, villas, B&B, etc.)
- NO hidden surprises, and your rate is confirmed before you book
- veh’s fleet is formed by exclusive private mercedes Sedan, Van and Bus
- the drivers are licensed, insured, regulated and vaccinated
- english speaking driver if requested
- thanks to our authorizations, we can access to any historical centres
- bottled water onboard
- highly competitive rates (same price, or even lower, than a normal taxi)
- C-19 compliance standards
Notes and Instructions for cruise passengers
Please note that the driver is not able to leave the vehicle and accompany you to specific sites in the centre due to strict parking regulations in the city centres.
This activity will end right where it started.