The amazing Carrara marble quarries. This is the place where throughout 2000 years it has been excavated this white and shiny stone which has been used for building and decorating churches, palaces and cities in Italy and around the world. Donatello, Michelangelo, Bernini and many other sculptors and architects loved and still love to use this unique material for their works of art.
Travel through the majestic marble valleys, stop at panoramic lookouts and arrive up to 1000 mt. of altitude and enjoying breathtaking views of Carrara marble mountains, then visit an outside and a gallery marble quarries for comparing different methods of excavation and see something truly unique. Learn more about the tools, machines, and methods used throughout 2000 years for the excavation and transportation of marble.
To see from a distance trucks which incessantly challenge technical and human limits, makes us rise the wish to try the same thrill. Thanks to the special off road 4×4 vehicles and to highly skilled drivers will take you in a magnificent and unique scenery, where extremely detailed information about both ancient and modern methods of marble extraction, will be given.
Lunch might be arranged in Riomaggiore or in Colonnata, the oldest quarry-men’s village, to experience an antique and unique food, the “lardo di Colonnata”, the only one of its kind in the world.
The driver will drive you to Riomaggiore: is the most southern village of the Cinque Terre. It is quite sure that the origins of Riomaggiore date back to the 8th Century, when the inhabitants of the Vara valley, searching a milder climate to raise grapevines and olive-trees without the fear of pirate raids, moved towards the coast. In Riomaggiore starts the Via dell’ Amore (Lover’s Lane), a wonderful path known for the romantic atmosphere and amazing landscapes. It leads to Manarola and it takes twenty minutes walking: during summer the Via dell’ Amore’s romantic atmosphere gets a bit disturbed by the excessive number of tourists. Nevertheless, we recommend you to have a rest along the street, on one of the numerous benches excavated into the rocks. Manarola, built on a high rock 70 meters above sea level, is one of the most charming and romantic of the Cinque Terre villages. The tiny harbor features a boat ramp, picturesque multicolored houses facing the sea, a tiny piazza with seafood restaurants. The village is all ups and downs, with steep narrow alleys Carrugi, leading to the sea.
This is a sample itinerary, feel free to require further customization of the Cinque Terre and Carrara shore trips from La Spezia, that better suits your wishes.
- Availability: all year round
- Disables and reduced mobility people friendly: Yes, if requested
- Tour duration: 8 hours
- Activity Level: low (low/moderate/high)
- Advised clothing: comfortable shoes and clothes
- Pick up suggested: 9.00 am
- Including: parking, tolls and fuel
- Price: (per party, not per person), depending on duration, pick-up location and group size
- Not included: admission ticket for churches and museums
- Pick up location: your accommodation (cruises, hotels, villas, B&B, etc.)
- NO hidden surprises, and your rate is confirmed before you book
- veh’s fleet is formed by exclusive private mercedes Sedan, Van and Bus
- the drivers are licensed, insured, regulated and vaccinated
- english speaking driver if requested
- thanks to our authorizations, we can access to any historical centres
- bottled water onboard
- highly competitive rates (same price, or even lower, than a normal taxi)
- C-19 compliance standards
Notes and Instructions for cruise passengers
Please note that the driver is not able to leave the vehicle and accompany you to specific sites in the centre due to strict parking regulations in the city centres.
This activity will end right where it started.