Carrara-Marble Quarries + Portovenere
With the Carrara-Marble Quarries + Portovenere tour you can discover the famous Marble Quarries and immerse yourself in the wonder of Portovenere.
In less than one hour we’ll arrive in Carrara, the home-town of the great marble chosen by artists such as Michelangelo and Bernini. You will visit the central marble basin to learn how it was hard the work of the quarry men as well as the excavation system employed nowadays. It will be an unique experience that you’ll never forget!
We’ll continue our tour to Colonnata, a tiny marble village which dates back to the Roman epoch. There you will have free time to stroll around and have lunch. You can also taste the typical local product: the famous Lardo di Colonnata (cold cut).
During the morning, you will have a whole marble experience, by visiting an open-air museum by the Carrara marble caves you’ll find out what there is behind a sculpture. You will learn the different processes of carving and understand how a piece of marble can be transformed into a masterpiece. Surrounded by works of art, you’ll live a real overwhelming experience!
Follows a drive of about 1 hour 20 minutes to reach Portovenere (the Port of Venus), a lovely fishing village that will warm your heart. Walk around to see the castle and the wonderful St. Peter’s church that overlooks the gulf of the romantic poets. Discover “Byron Cave” and understand what inspired him.
1. Visit of Portovenere: one of the most enchanting Italian Fishing Villages
2. Discover how is quarried the world-famous ‘White Carrara marble’
3. Lunch at the Marble Village of Colonnata and tasting of Local Products
- Availability: all year round
- Disables and reduced mobility people friendly: Yes, if requested
- Tour duration: 8 hours
- Activity Level: low (low/moderate/high)
- Advised clothing: comfortable shoes and clothes
- Pick up suggested: 9.00 am
- Including: parking, tolls and fuel
- Price: (per party, not per person), depending on duration, pick-up location and group size
- Not included: admission ticket for churches and museums
- Pick up location: your accommodation (cruises, hotels, villas, B&B, etc.)
- NO hidden surprises, and your rate is confirmed before you book
- veh’s fleet is formed by exclusive private mercedes Sedan, Van and Bus
- the drivers are licensed, insured, regulated and vaccinated
- english speaking driver if requested
- thanks to our authorizations, we can access to any historical centres
- bottled water onboard
- highly competitive rates (same price, or even lower, than a normal taxi)
- C-19 compliance standards
Notes and Instructions for cruise passengers
Please note that the driver is not able to leave the vehicle and accompany you to specific sites in the centre due to strict parking regulations in the city centres.
This activity will end right where it started.